Saturday 8 September 2007

Same-sex marriage

Jackie is one of the sushi chef in my work place. She was from HK with British citizenship and she has a Malaysian gf. Yes, gf. She is lesbian. She was asking me abt the procedure of getting a UK depandant visa for her gf. Because, Jackie and her gf were planning to register in UK (Yes, it is legal for same-sex couple to get married. Elton John was the 1st to register, remember?), so her gf can stay with her in UK permantely. But her case is different from mine. Because, hubby (hubby is also british citizen) and I got married in Malaysia and I went to British embassy in KL to apply for dependant visa. I waited for a mth b4 I got everything and flew to UK. But for Jackie, she cant get married in Malaysia because Malaysia doesnt accept same-sex marriage. So, now they have two other options.

1st, is to get married in UK. But the thing is, to get married in UK, her Malaysian gf need to apply for a Marriage visa. And through my experience, I think the whole procedure suck!! Because to apply for a marriage visa, u need to have a proof of appointment made with the church/registration office/etc for a date to get married in UK. When my then-bf and i went to book a date at the registration office, we were not allowed to do so unless I have a Marriage Visa. So, this is ridicoulous. 1st, they want us to book a date in order to apply for my visa, but i cant book a date because i don have the visa. Funny !!

2nd, her gf can apply for Unmarried partner Visa. But they need to be together for at least 2 years. They started dating last year. So, i don think there is any option left for Jackie. Maybe she can wait until the day Malaysia accept same-sex marriage....or get a new British gf !

No comments: